Money and Happiness, What’s the Relationship?
Our culture is SO confused about money!
Take the following contradictory cultural expressions:
Money makes the world go ‘round.
Money can’t buy me love
Cash is king
The best things in life are free.
Add to that the fact that there is no consistent early childhood education around money and it’s practically guaranteed most of us will have unresolved issues around money — and they can be different for each person:
– maybe I grew up with more than enough and when I saw people with very little I experienced guilt
– maybe I didn’t see mommy and daddy very much as a child and it had something to with “money”
– maybe I was often told “we can’t afford that” and so as an adult I splurge on myself to make up for the sense of lack I experienced as a child.
It’s different for everyone!
But these two conditions:
1) The culture is confused around money, and
2) There is no consistent early childhood education around money
…basically guarantee that money will be a very difficult topic.
Our culture has confused and conflated two different things: standard of living and quality of life.
Standard of Living is how much stuff I have;
Quality of Life refers to how satisfied or fulfilled I feel with my life.
So what is the relationship between money an happiness?
Scriptures from several traditions say that neither those with too little nor those with too much can be happy.
Let me know what you think by posting a comment below.
PS: Here is the handout I mention in the video: Fulfillment Curve Handout