By Jay Darling
What if, instead of waiting for everything to be perfect, you start living your dreams today, to any degree that you can?
Maybe there really are land mines in your front yard. Perhaps your family members or neighbors or co-workers or agents of the devil really are secretly working to undermine all of your greatest efforts. It could be true that your house will be under water in just a few years due to rising ocean levels. Your broken heart may never mend. Your children might wring out every ounce of energy that you have.
And it’s still your life. So how are you creating your day today? And how are you choosing to feel about it all? Zoom up above it all for a minute. It might not be easy at first, but Alan has as the only bumper sticker on his truck, “Don’t believe everything you think.”
That is, don’t take everything so seriously at face value, loaded with tons of weight and years of momentum.
Like you, we dream big at Cascadia Workshops. It is astounding what one can accomplish in one day. THIS DAY! We take the following quote to heart:
“There’s so much time in a day. You could have breakfast, lunch, and dinner on 3 different continents. You could outline the book you’re going to write, start the screenplay adaptation, and watch “Gone With The Wind,” before the sun even sets.
Spend a day at work, and still have 16 hours left over. Or you could just think 60,000 different thoughts as you tool all over your town.
Hey, the record for climbing Mt. Everest is under 9 hours, leaving 15 to nap and go Yeti searching.
There’s so much time in a day. So much. “
~ by Mike Dooley – ‘Notes from the Universe’
If you are in action, that’s fantastic. High five to you! If you are slow or stuck, congratulations! Something is gestating inside of you and it might be born in one minute or next week. But it might take some pushing. It might take something crazy like having somebody else make dinner tonight, skipping work tomorrow or canceling those weekend plans.
Maybe we are dreamers. Ok, we are. And we’re proud of it. We invite you to feel the fullness of your own dreams and visions for how you see your life and the world. There are so many unmet needs that we just get accustomed to, thinking that there is no way that ________ (you fill in the blank). Then what happens when you flip that on it’s back and think the opposite? And what is the next step to make that happen?
Map it out.
Do it. We invite you. Or if you prefer, we dare you!
Here is a great inspirational set of “commandments” although we might pose that they are instead “inspirational mandates.” And we realize that there is definitely some judgmental language in here, but we think you will get the idea.
The Paradoxical Commandments
by Dr. Kent M. Keith
1. People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway.
2. If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish ulterior motives. Do good anyway.
3. If you are successful, you win false friends and true enemies. Succeed anyway.
4. The good you do today will be forgotten tomorrow. Do good anyway.
5. Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable. Be honest and frank anyway.
6. The biggest men and women with the biggest ideas can be shot down by the smallest men and women with the smallest minds. Think big anyway.
7. People favor underdogs but follow only top dogs. Fight for a few underdogs anyway.
8. What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight. Build anyway.
9. People really need help but may attack you if you do help them. Help people anyway.
10. Give the world the best you have and you’ll get kicked in the teeth. Give the world the best you have anyway.
*Note: This set of great ideas was even written on the wall of Mother Theresa’s Calcutta care facility for people in need.
We have your back. And the time to choose is now.
Huge Amount of Inspiration for One Low Price
A Path With Heart: Telesummit on NVC and Social Change – Recordings and Transcriptions
- Discover leading-edge social change work that is truly creating a difference
- Hear in-depth interviews with some of the world’s best-known Nonviolent Communication trainers
- Get inspired with stories, tools and resources
We’ve brought together an amazing team of teachers and leaders who reveal valuable practical social change applications of Nonviolent Communication including Robert Gonzales, Miki Kashtan, Dominic Barter, Rabbi Michael Lerner and over 20 others.
Learn more on the A Path With Heart website
Complete and Powerful Training
Blackbelt Communication Skills (NVC), Deep Fundamentals
Gain valuable tools and mindsets that are proven to:
- Create exceptional personal and professional relationships
- Prevent and resolve misunderstandings and conflicts
- Speak your mind effectively
- Create mutual understanding without coercion
5 CDs’-worth of audio with a 99-page PDF that breaks down the NVC curriculum into 9 “steps.”
Complete with examples, exercises and worksheets.